What is it?
It is a chemical solution that works deep into the layers of the skin giving a deep exfoliation. Chemical peels can improve the skin's physical appearance. The new skin is usually smoother, with less wrinkles than the old skin and which allows for new, healthier skin to propogate. Chemical peels can be applied on the face, neck, or hands. The peels come in a range of strengths, from a deep application to more superficial peels. The product is from naturally derived acids. Glycolic from sugarcane and Salicylic from Willowbark.
Both work slightly differently making each one good for a specific purpose (more details below), but essentially they work by dissolving the glue that holds dead skin cells together.
Chemical peels work by removing the build up of dead cells on the surface of skin. Below are some of the benefits you can expect when putting them to good use:
- Provide an even exfoliation resulting in a smooth, even complexion
- Increase cell turnover for healthier, fresher looking skin. This is particularly helpful for acne, which at it's core is bacteria reacting to an overload of dead skin cells
- It is the best treatment (often the only one that actually works) for blackheads
- Fine lines are improved, an increase in healthy cell turnover means a plumper skin surface
Chemical Peels are good for:
- Acne scars
- Uneven skin texture, rough or thickened skin
- Uyper pigmentation or brown spots
- Fine lines
- Dull complexion
- Blackheads, Milia and other blockages
- Minimizing pores - clearer complexion and oil control
- What are the risks?
How much does it cost?
This depends on how much treatment is required. The treatments start at approximately £50.00 per application.
Is the treatment painful?
The treatment causing a warming/tingling sensation to the face which is not painful. The peel is removed after a few moments and can be gradually increased in time left on the skin as you get used to the sensation.
Can you tell I have had it done?
All of the peels used by Maya Aesthetics have no downtime, which means no peeling of the skin and ensures you can continue your day as normal. After the treatment, there may be some slight redness, which will usually subside within a few hours. Make-up should not be worn for a minimum of 12 hours after but mineral make-up is perfectly safe to use immediately after the treatment.
How long does it last?
Glowing skin can be noticed immediately after treatment. For the best results, a course of peels approx 4-6 weeks is recommended to keep up with the skins natural cycle, which encourages cellular activity to give the best results. The effects typically last three to four months, but they can last longer with ongoing treatment. SPF of a minimum of 30 is highly recommended for at least 3 weeks after a peel. If you are having a course then continuous SPF is advised.
Could anything go wrong with it?
Anything that is an active substance carries risk. Some of the risks are:
- Flaking of the skin (slight flaking is quite common, especially with salicylic. More severe means it was too strong) - don't pick if this happens
- A stinging/pain sensation - a tingling sensation is normal and expected. Any pain or stinging is not. Needs to be neutralized straight away and removed
- Thinning skin - this happens if peels are performed too often. Ideally after results are gained, maintanence treatments only need to be performed (more details below)
- Pigmentation - can happen if sun protection isn't adequate following treatment, or from picking any flaking that happens. Skin will become more sun sensitive for the first few days. Shade from the sun during this period is vital